Goth Carnival hits St Andrews. Oh wait, it’s Graduation…

Last week (at time of writing) group_studentssaw Graduation come to St Andrews, and fashion sense hid under the table for a time. Black robes and garish hoods were in, and the academic procession (including yours truly) competed gleefully to see who had the best superhero costume. Tourists were bemused and motorists enraged, as North Street periodically closed for a parade of colour (including black) that wouldn’t look out of place in Rio. Cue samba music…

In many ways I get the easiest of weeks in which to write for the CAPOD Impact Blog. As the resident Careers Adviser in the CAPOD team, one of the real perks of the job is seeing students, researchers, even staff, pressing on with their professional lives, and never more so than during graduation.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying that every graduand is an example of the impact of CAPOD, much less myself! But I know some of them are, and those individuals inspire me. Last week I chatted with graduands who were over the moon about that job secured; nervous about a last-minute change of tack; tense that the search for work was on-going.

All of them had cause to celebrate though, and I chose to celebrate with them. Having worked with them through career decisions, applications, interviews and the awkward wait that follows, the impact of their time spent here becomes something to sing about (albeit in Latin). So to finish, some words from that academic football chant Gaudeamus Igitur, a traditional part of graduation at St Andrews: “Let sadness perish! Let haters perish! Let the devil perish!” Always good to be ambitious.

Good luck all you graduates; you’re not an impact case study, you’re a highly developed goth carnival samba-ing out into the world. Cue music…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.